Monday, April 14, 2014

Welcome to the world Dax!

I was due on Saturday, April 12th.  Dax decided to come on Monday, April 14th.

On Sunday evening around 6:00 I started getting an upset stomach and some cramps.  They ended around 9:00.  I was bummed, we went to bed.  Around 11:00 I woke up with some cramps around 11:00 but was able to go back to bed.  I was a little concerned because I hadn't been feeling Dax very much.  Around 1:00 am I woke up again and was having contractions about every five minutes.  They were lasting about one minute.  I was getting excited but also couldn't sleep because the contractions would wake me up.  I got in the shower to relax me to help me not look awful if we ended up at the hospital soon.  I was uncomfortable, nervous, excited, tired, and anxious.  I woke Dave up to keep me company... We timed the contractions.  They would get between 8 minutes to 3 minutes apart for a bit but then got further apart, nothing consistent for an hour.  Around 7:00 they were pretty consistent and I was a little worried that I hadn't felt Dax.  We decided to go to the hospital.  We dropped off Mango at Stacie and Dusty's and then went to the Woman's Pavilion.  They had me start in Triage.

I had watched a birthing video and went to one class that taught breathing technique.  I had read some books and wanted to try to go natural.  I have heard horror stories of epidurals.  It seemed that the hospital I was going to had more than normal bad stories.  When I got into triage they had me go into a section and get checked.  I was only dilated to a 2 I think.  They hooked me up to some monitors to check on Dax.  They were immediately concerned.  His oxygen level was bad and his movement was low.  I had a 102 degree temperature, my blood pressure was high, and my legs and feet were very swollen.  They were worried I had preclampsia so they came in and did a bunch of blood work.  They also put an oxygen mask.  I am claustrophobic so I wasn't a huge fan of it.  The nurses in triage were NOT nice!

This is me when they got me to my room.

I wanted to start my oils, walk around, use the exercise ball, and listen to music.  Things I had thought would help me with my labor.  Since Dax was struggling and I was also they made me lay down on the bed.  They had me move side to side to try to help Dax.  Laying down and not being able to move makes things worse!  I also was still in triage which isn't comfortable or convenient to diffuse oils or listen to music.

Having all the nurses coming in and seeming concerned wasn't comforting.  They came in about an hour after I had been there and said that I had to get an epidural to see if that would help Dax.  I was so worried for Dax and wanted him safe.  At this point, I just wanted the epidural if I was going to have to get one anyway.  They didn't have a room available so I had to wait a bit longer.

I think that I ended up in triage for 2-3 hours.  I then was transferred to a room.  They came to check on me and told me that they were going to have an anesthesiologist come up when they could get a hold of him.  I told them I wanted one soon since it would hopefully help Dax and I figured why be in pain longer than I needed to be.  They left and when they came back later I asked if they had called him, they hadn't....  As they were leaving to call him I felt a weird feeling, almost like a super hard kick and then a gush of water.  My water had broke.  They helped clean me up, then more water came out.  They got me started on antibiotics since I was strep positive and my fever.  

The anesthesiologist came in.  He was nice but I was very nervous.  It didn't hurt as bad as I anticipated.  It worked pretty quick.  The nurses would come in and make me go from side to side to try to help Dax, but nothing seemed to be helping.  We kept an eye on the monitor and we would see his heart rate dip very low.  That happens with contractions sometimes, the problem was it took his heart a lot longer than it should have to come back up.  They would see it on their monitors and come in and try to move me differently.

Around 1:00 they were pretty concerned.  They called my doctor but she was in surgery.  It was hard to not let my mind wander of all the things that could happen to Dax.  Dave gave me and Dax a blessing.  It seemed to help him a little.  He said that Dax and I would both be fine.  I tried to keep remembering that through out the next few hours.  Dr. Baker came in around 3:00.  She said she wanted to wait a few more hours to see what happens.  I was dilated to a 7 at this point.  She was surprised that I had an epidural, no pitosin and progressed that quickly.  I guess epidurals slow contractions and dilatation down, but that was not the case for me.

Shortly after the doctor left, the nurses became concerned again.  They said that they felt like something was wrong and that they were not comfortable to have me push.  They wouldn't do it, the doctor would have to.  That started really freaking me out.  I have seen kids who have had problems from the birthing process, I didn't want that to happen to Dax.

Around 5:00 the nurses started getting VERY concerned.  They had been trying to get a hold of my doctor without luck.  They finally got a hold of her around 5:00, she said she would be in when she was finished seeing patients for the day.  It took her FOREVER!  The nurses were getting agitated and it was getting me scared.  I had stopped dilating at this point.

Dr. Baker finally came in around 7:00.  She came in checked me and then said, "We need to get this baby out now!"  Everything happened very quickly after that!  People started moving around quickly and rushed me to the surgery section.  They sent Dave to get all ready.  They started cutting me open before Dave was even in the room!  I started to panic a little and asked for Dave, they went to find him.  I felt better when he was in the room.  It felt like forever before I heard Dax cry.  The whole time I was praying that he was okay.


 

Dax weighed 8 pounds 2 ounces and was 21 inches long.  He was born at 7:__p.m.  It was fun that his birthday was 4-14-14.

The anesthesiologist then gave me some medicine to relax me.  I felt like I was going to pass out, I didn't like it and asked him to stop.  I am so sad because the rest of the night and next day is a big blur.  I don't remember as much as I would like to.

Dave went over and watched them clean off Dax, cut the umbilical cord, and watched them measure and weigh him.  He then brought Dax over and laid him on me.  I vaguely remember that.

After they stitched me up I went to a recovery section.  I drifted in and out.  I remember holding Dax but struggled comprehending.  I do remember the nurse pressing on my stomach, that killed!

























I then was wheeled into my room.  I was so tired!  Dave went into the bathroom with one of the nurses to help give Dax a bath.  A nurse started going over a bunch of information with me.  I could hardly keep my eyes open and couldn't comprehend anything.  I finally looked at her and told her I had no idea what she was saying!

Dave and I were exhausted.  We tried to sleep but Dax was a little fussy.  Dax started to choke and struggle breathing.  The nurse came in and suctioned out his mouth.  She said that it was amniotic fluid.  She said it happens with C-sections but we just needed to make sure that we pick him up and suction it quick so that he doesn't stop breathing.  It scared us!  We didn't really sleep after that.  Nurses also came in every few hours to check on us.

They used to have people share a room after having a baby!  Can you believe that?!?!  It has only been in the last few years that changed.  This hospital doesn't have a nursery so the baby is with you all the time.  It is nice so you know your baby is safe but it is hard when we were so tired and wanted sleep and to not worry about Dax.

The second night there I started throwing up.  I think it was from the trauma of everything and all the antibiotics being pumped into me.  It was scary and PAINFUL!  I was so worried I was going to rip open all my stitches.  Dave was so good to help me and keep me calm.  He really was so helpful.  Standing up and walking was a chore.  He was always there to help me.  I really appreciated him.  He's a pretty good guy.

No comments: